Making a Difference
to people's lives

Support for paying your Council Tax

Though a lot of the focus of COVID-19 is on our health, our financial wellbeing matters too.

We know that the impact of COVID-19 will mean that more people will be worried about their money, and a number of people will be faced with difficult decisions about their finances.

We are here to help provide the best possible advice. This week, we’re looking in more depth about how to access support for paying your Council Tax bill.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, you should contact your local authority directly. There are schemes available including payment holidays, or the option to spread your payments over a longer period of time.

*Note: Telford & Wrekin Council have announced that Monday 20 April is the deadline for applications for a Council Tax payment holiday.

If you have fallen behind with your Council Tax as a result of financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, and you have received a court summons, you should contact your local authority immediately. You may be able to avoid a hearing and come to an agreement in line with the support offered by local authorities.

To contact your local authorities about Council Tax:

Telford & Wrekin: 01952 383838 or click here

Shropshire: 0345 678 9002 or click here

Staffordshire: click here

Here to help

It is important to take your financial wellbeing seriously, act quickly, and seek free help if you find yourself in difficultly.

We understand how quickly financial worries can spiral into serious debt problems without help and intervention, and you can receive free, impartial, confidential debt advice from our Money Matters team on 01952 217 251.

You can also receive free, regulated debt advice from your local Citizens Advice or Step Change.

For a range of Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 and what this means for your finances, click here.

16th April 2020