Making a Difference
to people's lives

Support for people who are self-employed

Though a lot of the focus of COVID-19 is on our health, our financial wellbeing matters too.

We know that the impact of COVID-19 will mean that more people will be worried about their money, and a number of people will be faced with difficult decisions about their finances.

We are here to help provide the best possible advice. This week, we’re looking in more depth about how to access support if you are self-employed.

If you’re self-employed and have had to take time off work because you’re unwell or self-isolating, or if you’ve lost income due to COVID-19, you might be able to claim benefits. There is also a new government grant available via the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS).

At the time of writing (27th May 2020), you should have been contacted by HMRC if you are eligible for this new scheme. If you believe you are eligible but you haven’t heard from them, you can use this tool on the HMRC website to see if you’re eligible for this support. However if you became self-employed after April 2019, you won’t be able to get help from this scheme.

Turn2us also have this useful benefits calculator to see if you’re able to claim Universal Credit.

Here to help

It is important to take your financial wellbeing seriously, act quickly, and seek free help if you find yourself in difficultly.

We understand how quickly financial worries can spiral into serious debt problems without help and intervention, and you can receive free, impartial, confidential debt advice from our Money Matters team on 01952 217 251.

You can also receive free, regulated debt advice from your local Citizens Advice or Step Change.

For a range of Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 and what this means for your finances, click here.

27th May 2020