Your Payment Plan
A guide on our Payment Plan system, how to change or update your plan and information on what to do if you’re struggling to pay your rent.
What is a Payment Plan?
- All Wrekin tenants agree a payment plan with their Housing Executive, whether they are in one of our Extra Care Schemes, supported housing, or general needs housing.
- For most tenants, their payment plan will just cover the weekly rent charge, but also allows you to pay at different times, to work around when you receive your household income.
- We can also set you up with a payment plan that pays more than your weekly rent charge, either because you have missed a payment, or want to increase your payments to get ahead.
Why do I have a Payment Plan?
- We have created the payment plan system to work around you and your finances, because not all Wrekin Tenants receive income in the same way.
- Depending on when and how you receive your household income, it might not be convenient for you to pay on a Monday, which is when we usually collect the rent charge.
- So we will create a payment plan to suit you and your specific situation, so that paying your rent is easy and straightforward.
- Some tenants have wages paid to them weekly or monthly. Tenants who receive a pension might be paid every four weeks, and those who receive Universal Credit are paid on the same day every month.
- We take this into consideration when creating your plan with you.
- You will have peace of mind of knowing your rent is paid and you are not going to fall behind with your payments.
- With this in mind, we can provide additional support to help you manage your rent and other bills.
What do I do if I know I’m going to miss a rent payment?
- If you think you will miss a payment for whatever reason, all you need to do is contact us.
- If you've missed a payment and haven't contacted us to let us know already, we will contact you as soon as possible.
- We understand that arrears (missed payments) happen for a variety of reasons, and we will work with you to make sure you can get back on track, so that no further payments are missed.
How do I change or update my Payment Plan?
- You won't be able to change the plan on your account by yourself.
- Once we've made contact, whether it's before or after a missed payment, we'll discuss your current situation and agree any changes together.
- Once a new plan is agreed, we'll ask you how you want to be updated. Whether it's a text reminder, letter or by email.
- There is no limit on how many times we can change or update your Payment Plan, so don't delay getting in touch.
How do I find or view current my Payment Plan?
- Your payment plan shouldn’t be confused with the weekly rent we charge, or the money paid onto your account displayed on your “Account Statement” - as these could be different.
- The balance on your account may appear unclear as it can show an arrear or a credit, depending on when you look at it.
- Your payment plan will be much simpler. It is calculated to cover all the expected payments we have agreed with you throughout the year, and so it’s the only one that really matters.
- As long as you make every payment that you’ve agreed with us, then you know you’re going to be ok.
- If you want to change how you are notified so you know when they’re expected, just let us know your preferences.
- This way you can tick them off one by one as they are paid.
Why would I want to pay more than the weekly rent charge?
- Would you struggle to pay your rent if something unexpected happens?
- For example; If you have a large bill to pay like a car repair, or you need to buy a new appliance like a Fridge or Washing Machine?
- Might your financial circumstances change in the future?
- Would you benefit from peace of mind of knowing that you are not only up to date, but in front with you rent payments?
- Setting up an agreed Payment Plan to get ahead with your payments, would make any unexpected hurdles far easier to overcome.
What support and advice are offered?
- We provide free financial advice and support to help you get ahead with your payments, and can move you over to a Direct Debit, or help you get set up on the "My Wrekin" App, where you can pay your rent from the comfort of your home.
- 70% of our customers find paying by Direct Debit the easiest and most convenient way to pay.
- Through Direct Debit your rent is paid automatically at a frequency of your choosing, meaning you don’t have to remember to do anything else.
- The efficiency and security of your Direct Debit payment is monitored and protected, by bank or building society through the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme.
What do I do next?
If you are experiencing financial struggles and need help with:
- Budgeting or increasing your household income
- Applying for additional benefits
- Managing existing debts
Please contact Money Matters directly on 01952 217234 or email email@example.com.
To talk to us about your Payment Plan, please get in touch with any of the following;
Your Housing Executive, Money Matters or General Enquiries,
General.firstname.lastname@example.org or call us from 8am - 8pm on 01952 217100.