Carbon Monoxide Detectors
It is our job to ensure you are safe and secure in your home.
We are required by law to make sure that carbon monoxide detectors are installed in your home.
If your home doesn’t have a carbon monoxide alarm, and you have gas appliances, someone will be visiting you in the near future. Please help us carry out this important work by giving us access when we visit.
Once installed, we will test all smoke / fire and carbon monoxide alarms as part of your annual safety check. Where fitted, it will usually be at a high level in the room, near your boiler.
What are the warning signs of carbon monoxide?
- The boiler pilot light flames are burning yellow instead of blue
- There are sooty stains on or near appliances
- Coal or wood fires in your home that burn slowly or go out
- The most common symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea, stomach pain, difficulty breathing, vomiting, tiredness and confusion.
The longer you are exposed to the carbon monoxide leak, the worse your symptoms will be.
What to do if your carbon monoxide (CO) alarm sounds:
- Please don’t assume it is a false alarm. The CO alarm is designed to detect the presence of CO gas before harmful levels are reached so you can act to keep yourself and other occupants safe.
- Open all doors and windows. Firstly, open all the doors and windows to ventilate your home and clear some of the gas.
- Turn off all fuel-burning appliances - Once you’ve ventilated your home, turn off all the fuel-burning appliances, such as boilers and fires, and leave the house.
- Don’t switch on the lights, smoke or strike a match - If there is a build-up of gas in your home, you should avoid switching on the lights, smoking or striking a match.
- Leave your home - Regardless of whether you feel ill or well, remain outside until you've spoken to a doctor or called the emergency advice line.
- Call the emergency advice line - If you believe a gas appliance caused your carbon monoxide emergency, call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
- Seek medical advice. If you feel ill or exhibit any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after your alarm goes off, contact your doctor immediately or call 999 for an ambulance.
- Call our repairs service on 01952 217217 to arrange for the appliance to be checked.
How can I reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Allow us to access your home for annual gas safety checks (we will contact you before this is due). We’ll check your carbon monoxide alarm is working and that it’s within its expiry date
- Although we visit to test it annually, you should also test your carbon monoxide detector every month
- If any detectors aren't working in your home, call us on 01952 217217 to report this straight away.