Help with debts
When dealing with the money you owe, it’s helpful to work out who you owe and split your debt into two categories - priority debt and secondary debt.
We offer a free, impartial debt advice service to all Wrekin tenants, which can help to:
- Support you with free, regulated and confidential debt advice to find solutions that suit you
- Help you manage your rent and household bills
- Look for ways to maximise your income and reduce your spending
To make an appointment call our advisor on 01952 217251 or email DebtAdvice@wrekin.com (please include your name and contact details)
Steps to tackling debt
Priority debt is money that is owed when paying bills for some essential services. These debts may include rent debt, gas, electricity, water bills and council tax bills. These should be dealt with as a priority because they carry the most severe consequences if you do not pay.
Secondary debt is the money that is owed because it was borrowed as a loan such as a pay-day loan, as a bank overdraft, purchases with a credit card or from catalogues. Although important, these debts have less severe consequences for non-payment so should be dealt with after priority debt.
Things to remember when dealing with debt:
- Don’t ignore letters or phone calls
- Don’t be pressured into making offers of payment that you can’t afford
- Don’t wait for court action, the costs will be added to the amount that you owe
- Remember there is free debt advice available - You do not have to pay for debt advice
- Plan your budget
Advice from other organisations
We understand that debt can be a difficult subject to talk about. You may want to get independent advice from other organisations. The following offer a free service. There are some debt companies who will charge you for debt advice.
National Debt Line