Making a Difference
to people's lives

Support for victims and witnesses of antisocial behaviour

We hope to work with you to address anti-social behaviour without the need for Legal intervention, however recognise this is not always possible.

We understand that victims and witnesses may need to be supported from the time they initially report the incident and throughout the case. We will give you advice on how we can help and support you.

On some occasions, it may be helpful to try to resolve the issue directly by talking to your neighbour yourself. By doing this you may be able to sort the matter quickly without having to do anything else. However, if this doesn’t work or you feel it’s not appropriate, speak to us and we will advise you on the options available.

Where there are neighbour disputes, one of the most effective ways of resolving the issues can be seeking the support of a mediation service. However, in some cases it may be necessary for legal action to be taken. If you do need to act as a witness in Court, then the following information may be of use to you.

Positive outcomes in the Legal process rely on the best evidence possible being presented. One example of this would be direct evidence from a victim or witness giving a statement.

Hearsay evidence can be given but caution must be used as this carries less weight. Hearsay is written or oral statements made but not by a witness in Court by giving their first hand account, that could be cross-examined.

The aim of providing direct evidence is to show the Court the negative effect the anti-social behaviour is having on the quality of life, for the victim, witness and community.

We understand that witnesses may not be familiar with the Court process and may need our support.

Which Court will the case go to?

This depends on the type of Court action and whether it applies to civil or criminal law. Civil law deals with disputes between individuals and organisations and is usually heard in a County Court. Criminal law deals with crimes and their punishment and is heard in a Magistrates or Crown Court.

Prior to Court action

We will work with you throughout the case and regular communication is vital, we will discuss what to expect in the Court room on the day and any support you may require.

At Court

A Wrekin Housing Group Officer will attend the Court hearing and support you on the day. When you arrive, they will introduce you to the relevant solicitor and legal representatives. They will also introduce you to the Court usher who will show you where to sit and where to go when the case is called. If you have mobility requirements or need translation services we will try to arrange these for you beforehand.

Will I get financial assistance?

If you attend Court we can arrange transport for you. If you have childcare responsibilities, or if you are a carer, we will try to help out with these arrangements too.

If charges are brought against the person(s) responsible you may be entitled to receive help from the Witness Care Unit. They will provide you with support as a witness until the case concludes.

Where can I find more information?

Victim Support website - information and support service for victims and witnesses. Victim Support Helpline: 0845 3030 900.

Criminal Justice System for England and Wales - help and support for victims giving evidence at Court.

For further information on reporting and dealing with anti-social behaviour, contact us on 01952 217100.