Making a Difference
to people's lives

Can I keep a domestic pet in my home?

The Group recognises that as a resident you may wish to keep pets and we know that if properly cared for, pets are good companions and can enhance the quality of life of our residents.

We will work closely with relevant agencies such as the RSPCA and police to remove pets where we become aware of cases of cruelty, mistreatment and neglect.

What happens if my pet becomes a nuisance?

If they are not cared for properly, pets can cause a nuisance to neighbours and the surrounding neighbourhood as well as causing damage to property.

We want you to enjoy having a pet, but if they are not kept under control, are allowed to roam freely, foul communal areas or cause a nuisance or annoyance to other residents, you will be held responsible.

We may take action against you in line with our Antisocial Behaviour Policy and Procedure in conjunction with this policy.

What type of pet am I allowed to keep?

If you live in a house or bungalow the domestic pets you are allowed to keep in your property are;

  • Dog,
  • Cat,
  • Caged bird,
  • Fish,
  • Small, caged rodent, e.g. rabbit, guinea pig, chinchilla, hamster,
  • Small, non-poisonous caged reptile e.g. lizard, certain breeds of snake,
  • Small, non-poisonous contained insect or amphibian e.g. stick insect, terrapin.

Can I keep any other type of pet?

Should you wish to keep any other animal that is not defined as a domestic pet; the written permission of the Group will be required in advance.

Animals that are not allowed include:

  • Any dog that is specified in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991,
  • Any mammal, bird or invertebrate that requires a license under the Dangerous and Wild Animals Act 1976,
  • Any farm animals, or livestock, e.g. goats, pigs, chickens, sheep

On 31 December 2023, XL Bully type dogs will be added to the list of banned dogs under the Dangerous Dogs Act. More information on what this means for Wrekin customers can be found here.

Please note the above lists are not exhaustive or exclusive.

Can I keep a pet if I live in a flat or bedsit?

If you live in a flat or bedsit, you are not allowed to keep pets unless you get our written permission.

We will not unreasonably withhold permission but will take into account the type and number of pets and the type, design and location of the property in making our decision.

When dealing with applications we will not give permission in the following circumstances:

  • If we are aware of any previous pet being removed due to ill health or cruelty,
  • If the pet is large and requires regular exercise and there is not a self-contained garden,
  • If the pet is included in the list above of animals not permitted to be kept as pets in any of our properties,
  • If the property is unsuitable for a pet,
  • If the property shares communal facilities which would be unsuitable for the keeping of a specific type of pet,
  • No animal must be used for breeding purposes,
  • No animal must be kept for breeding purposes as this would be classed as a business, (Tenancy Agreement, p.6, Section 4.3).

Can I keep a dog if I live in Retirement Living property?

If you live in Retirement Living accommodation you will only be allowed to keep a dog if there is an enclosed garden with your property.

If a pet is being kept as an aid to able living, such as a guide dog, or a hearing dog for the deaf, permission is not required.

How can I be a responsible dog owner?

Unfortunately there are more complaints made about dogs than any other pet.

By following the steps below, you can help to prevent any complaints.

  • Don’t let your dog foul any public areas, and please clear up after them if they do.
  • Make sure your dog doesn’t bark for long periods of time.
  • Only let your dog out when you or another responsible person are with them.
  • A muzzle might be beneficial if your dog is snappy and aggressive, especially when you take them out.

Pets - useful contact numbers


Help / Advice

Contact Information


The RSPCA investigates complaints of cruelty and neglect towards animals. They also offer:

  • Animal hospitals/clinics for low income households,
  • General animal welfare and advice,
  • Financial assistance with neutering animals.

RSPCA (Regional HQ)
Gonsal Farm

Tel: 0300 123 0753

24 hr. National cruelty and advice line:

0300 1234 999

Dogs Trust

Provides advice on all aspects of dog ownership. Subsidises neutering and micro chipping in certain areas.

Dogs Trust Head Office
17 Wakley Street

Tel: 020 7837 0006

Cats Protection

Provides advice on all aspects of cat ownership. Provides a ‘rescue’ and rehoming service for cats and kittens and can provide financial assistance towards the cost of neutering cats.

National Cat Centre
Chelwood Gate
Haywards Heath
RH17 7TT

National Helpline: 03000 121212


Provides animal clinics and veterinary care for sick animals owned by families with a low income, who receive certain government benefits.

PDSA Head Office
Whitechapel Way

Tel: 01952 290999

The Cinnamon Trust

National charity for elderly people who own pets. Can provide foster care for pets when their owners go into hospital.

The Cinnamon Trust
10 Market Square
TR27 4HE
Tel: 01736 757900