Making a Difference
to people's lives

Taking in lodgers or subletting

You have the right to take in lodgers or sublet part of your home as long as it does not lead to overcrowding.

You must tell us the name, age and sex of your lodger and what part of your home they’ll live in. You must get our written permission to sublet your home and you cannot sublet the whole property.

Taking in a lodger or subletting your property will impact on your claim for housing benefit and other benefits.