How to report a repair for central heating and gas appliances
Please contact the repairs line on 01952 217217 to report the repair.
It is your responsibility as the tenant to let us know if there is something wrong with your heating. If you have a gas leak or think fumes are leaking, please follow the instructions below;
- Contact the emergency service provider on 0800 111 999 and open all windows to ventilate the property.
- Turn off the gas lever at the mains, which is next to the gas meter, by pulling the lever down
- Open all doors and windows to let in plenty of fresh air
- Check to see if the pilot light on your cooker, gas heater or boiler has gone out
- Make sure that you have turned off all gas knobs properly
- Do not touch any electrical switches including lights
- Do not light matches, lighters or smoke in the house
- Get everyone out of the house and stay out
- Put out cigarettes and any naked flames
- Avoid rooms with a strong smell of gas as they may be overcome by the gas fumes.
- Do not attempt to investigate or fix the problem yourself.
Further information also available at: http://bcove.me/yytkxu3s
The Group uses both direct employees and sub-contractors to carry out gas repairs and annual servicing to gas appliances. All of our employees and sub-contractors carry Wrekin Housing Trust/Group identification cards and wear The Wrekin Housing Trust/Group uniforms.
How quickly will someone come out?
If you have a gas leak or gas fumes – one hour (following an emergency service provider visit to make safe).
We will respond to all gas repairs within 2 hours and our engineer will attend as soon as possible within this time and we will advise you if we are unable to attend within this time.
What if my boiler stops working?
Before contacting the repairs line, please check the following:
- Is the fuse switch turned on under the boiler and wall thermostat adjusted to a higher temperature?
- If you top your meter up using a gas card, is there credit on the meter?
What happens if the repair cannot be carried out on the same day?
If there is a full or partial breakdown that cannot be rectified immediately, an adequate source of temporary heating will be provided depending upon the occupancy and size of your household. Our engineer will order parts and will book an appointment with you to fit the parts before he leaves your home, so you know exactly when we will be calling back.
Is there an out of hours service available?
An out of hours service is operational for any repairs that are needed outside of the normal contact hours.
Why does my boiler need servicing if it’s working fine?
Around 35 people die in the UK every year from carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty gas appliances. By law, the Group is responsible for making sure that gas fittings and flues are maintained in good order and all gas appliances are checked for safety in order to ensure this does not happen to our customers.
How often will the Group service my boiler?
Each year we'll give you a gas safety check appointment. If you can't make this appointment, please contact us as soon as possible (or call us if your appointment's today or tomorrow), so we can re-book your appointment and give the slot to someone else.
Faulty gas appliances can cause fire and explosion, so we need to check that everything is in good working order. Carbon monoxide can also leak from faulty appliances - it's colourless and has no smell, but in high doses this can kill in less than five minutes.
As well as the safety check, we'll service your heating appliances and check your smoke alarms and any carbon monoxide detectors.
- We'll complete your annual gas safety check (and any work that's needed) first time, whenever possible.
- We'll make sure all our engineers are 'Gas Safe' registered.
- Our employees and contractors will work in a professional way, and not cause you any unnecessary disruption.
There are some things that you can do to prepare for your appointment.
- Please make sure someone over the age of 18 is in your property the whole time we're there - as we can't be in your property unsupervised.
- Clear the area in and around your appliances to give us easy access.
By signing your tenancy agreement you've agreed to allow us into your home for your gas safety check. If you don't respond or repeatedly refuse to give us access to your property, we'll apply for a court order to do so, and you could even lose your home. Please don't let it get to this stage. If you have any concerns, please contact us as soon as possible and we can talk through any worries.
We will send you a letter to notify you about the annual gas service at least five working days in advance. If you are unable to make that appointment, please contact the gas team on 01952 217217 to rearrange.
If you have a gas supply, it's really important that you know where and how to turn it off in an emergency (it's usually located outside, where the gas pipes enter your property).
If you smell gas:
- DO call the gas emergency line immediately on 0800 111 9990 immediately
- DO put out naked flames (including cigarettes)
- DO open all doors and windows
- DO shut off your gas supply at the meter (this is usually located outside, where the gas pipes enter your property)
- DON'T strike matches or light a cigarette
- DON'T turn electrical switches on or off